Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What to write about?

So I figured it out and I think I now know why I don't update this blog very often...I have NO idea what to write about which leads to some serious writer's block. When I read the blogs that I follow, I always think, "she picked such a great topic to write about...I want my blog to be this interesting/entertaining..." So, how do I do that? I'm not 100% sure, so in the mean time I will start with writing an update on the events of our summer. Pretty sure this is going to be a multi-part blog post. Let's start with May. Here goes...

May started out with the end of Spring Semester for me and the start of summer for our whole family. Our little red-head turned 2 this May (can you believe he's already 2, cuz I can't!) so of course we had to celebrate with a super fun birthday party.  This years theme was Toy Story, because our little dude LOVES Woody and Buzz Lightyear like no other. I can't even tell you how many times we have watched all 3 Toy Story movies in one day... It's a lot!
Alien Cupcakes (courtesy of Pinterest) on Ryder's Birthday
We had Ryder's birthday party at our house on Saturday, May 18th. It was a fun, relaxing, low-key event and we were so happy to share this special occasion with some of our family and friends. Jason and I had a smaller, more intimate celebration on Ryder's actual birthday on the 22nd (see cupcake photo above). Okay, back to the birthday party... As usual, I found most of my inspiration for the party following several hours of Pinterest searching and pinning to my "Ryder's 2nd Birthday" board. Seriously, what did we do before Pinterest? I'm still angry that Pinterest wasn't around when I got married!
Toy Story inspired food including Mrs. Potato Head's potato salad, Buzz's UFO burgers, Slinky's hot dogs, Hamm's baked beans, Woody's watermelon, RC's ramen noodle salad, and Jessie's burger fixin's!
We kept the decor simple and easy. I found these Toy Story print outs online, and they looked exactly like the drawings in Andy's room in Toy Story. I got so many compliments on them and have to say that they looked pretty cool. They are now hanging in our play room and Ryder loves to look at them and point out Buzz and Woody.
This one was my favorite!
The day was spent with good food, great company, and fun times. I think we call that a success! We are so grateful to all of our friends and family that were able to make the trip over to help celebrate our little man's 2nd birthday. It was truly a special day!

Who says you can't have a smash cake at your 2nd birthday?
Nothing better than a frosting covered Woody!
I was going to try to make my own cake this year, but it's so much easier to order one from HyVee. I found these cake toppers on Amazon and I think they were the perfect touch to take this cake from generic to special.
I have about a million more pictures from Ryder's 2nd birthday party, but I don't want to overwhelm you all so I'll leave you with just one more. I can't wait to start planning next year's birthday party. I'm thinking that the theme with be dinosaurs or Despicable me, those are Ryder's favorite things right now. Who knows what the next few months will bring...Thankfully I have 8 months to plan it! What are some of your favorite birthday themes? Bonus points for links to your blog. I would love to see what you all have come up with!
Kisses for the birthday boy! XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment